Where I'm From Poem (Summer 2017)


I am from turquoise beaches with sparkling sand
Hula at the “Y”, Kailua Pentecostal, and Keolu
Hills my mother sometimes walked with us.
I am from shave ice days and balmy nights
Jumping the neighbors’ fences and roller skates
Carving a space within tangled bougainvillea vines.
I am from the “old” Disney and cabbage patch kids
From Superman costumes and giant dinosaurs
Our figurines buried deep but not forgotten.
I am from the beginnings of MTV
Mattress forts, Play-Doh, and Highlights magazines
Busy for hours in the mango tree.
I am from SeaLife Park, the Honolulu Zoo
Waikiki Aquarium, and Bishop Museum.
So happy and carefree my life use to be

I am happy when I think of my childhood.


Comments

  1. This is awesome. I wrote a line about climbing walls and roller blades also in mine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts