Too much, too fast. (Week 10b)

After coming back from Fall Break (10/6 - 10/11) I knew that I wanted to switch some things up a bit in my environmental science class. I had been talking to my husband about my convictions to be true to my developing philosophy of STEMS2. My desire is to teach my environmental science class about our unique environment here on Hawai'i island. Meaning, I want to focus on learning about plants and animals, different types of ecosystems, place names, and facts about the natural/unnatural history of our island. I want my students to study- by engaging with- the plants and birds, watersheds, ahupua'a system, and even mo'olelo, to build their interests and connect more intentionally to natural places. In themselves, these topics are not totally STEMS2-y because there is no explicit socio-political theme or problem here, although the potential for it exists.  Also, the science element is kind of lacking too, in terms of a scientific investigation. Despite that, in my opinion, this sounds totally place-based appropriate and exciting, right? Well, an inner battle is forming and I can't seem to shake it.

I feel an ongoing sense of pressure to develop a rigorous (NGSS aligned), technology-infused, "science fair level", wow factor, senior high school science class that is clearly helping my students build the "STEM skills" that we all want them to have. Some of this is my own ego to prove that I can do this type of work, and do it well. I also know that for my students to truly be "college ready" they need demanding courses that are connected to the type of real problem solving that is necessary for college and beyond. I don't know if other teachers deal with this or simply don't care as much. I know some teachers who are so rigorous that students simply perform out of fear of failure, no matter how "meaningful" the material. I personally evaluate meaningfulness by how likely I feel a student will remember the information or experience after graduation. Maybe there exists a bit of a misconception that in order for teachers to be "student-centered" they have to make it easy for students. Obviously, this is false.

On a side note, something I noticed in my student teaching year (at Hilo High School) is that schools make it too easy for teachers to be mediocre. I'm not saying that they are mediocre or choose to be, but it is hard to motivate 100+ students in a single day. This is a daunting challenge. Even in my small microcosm of a classroom, anything other than the mundane memorization of facts can open up a large can of "who cares" that I simply don't have the patience to deal with some days. You'd think that students would be happy to engage in critical thinking exercises that allow them to share their views on a matter. I have a lot to learn too. As I develop as a teacher I know that my ability to teach analysis and communication skills will improve. This is the nature of an environmental science class which is not just observation based but forces the evaluation of many sources of evidence that lead to environmental decisions. There is an odd response to the "subjectiveness" of this process, as though it exists independent of science, and not fitting for a science class.

Anyway, at the same time [of wanting to maintain a high level of scientific rigor in my class] I am committed to knowing my students and meeting them where they are (hence, being attuned to the existence of said "can"). I know there is a vast disconnect between their minds and hearts when it comes to "science"; posing a challenge that foundationally they are below where I "need" them to be, in order to take on the curriculum goals mentioned above. I also recognize that they have a teeny-tiny working knowledge of the biodiversity and ecosystems here on our island which I sense they really truly want to develop. However, despite the "teeny-tiny", fostering this knowledge and desire has been incredibly helpful this week in our class as we begin our ecology unit. So, you may be asking, what's my problem?

My first problem has been in avoiding the "too much, too fast" effect in my class as not to discourage my students with too much technicality and complexity of concepts that just end up going over their heads. Second, I have realized the depth of truth in that there isn't enough time in a school year to do it all. There is maybe enough time for 3, maybe 4 STEMS2 units when I take everything into consideration: learning journeys, cultural knowledge skills, science content, design a product of some kind, assessment, working with community members, and having to do it all with less than 45 minute class periods. My goal is not to sound like a banging gong, and to set my perspective on the solutions and not the problems I know are creeping in every step of the way. I was thinking about how I'd love to design a class, even an elective class, called "Knowing Your Sense of Place" (or something like that) where I could have the freedom to do all kinds of projects with my kids and exist outside the banner of "Environmental Science", "Chemistry", or "Physics" class. In the spirit of action, I took my Environmental Science class on their first learning journey of the year yesterday (10/27). I'll tell you all about it another time.

All cards on the table, I ultimately want to [strongly] influence their "sense of place" by developing in them a love and wonder for Hawai'i. This is my bias. I believe that by helping my students to feel connected here I am giving them access to opportunities they wouldn't otherwise consider, and an extension of their identity that can give them stability later in life no matter where they go. 





Comments

Popular Posts